My most recent construction attempt, still incomplete. The body is 'no-name' replacement purchased damaged and at a discount. It was finished in grey, not too different from what it wears now. I needed to strip it and repair various cracks and dents in the wood. The body was originally drilled for a Floyd Rose locking 'tremolo', but Floyd's are a bit intense for my tastes, not to mention expensive, so I filled the holes and drilled it for a vintage standard vibrato. The top had not been routed for the flush/recessed Floyd mounting; the neck pocket was angled instead to provide appropriate clearance for pulling. I rerouted the neck pocket to remove this angle.
The neck is from Mighty Might, purchased from Guitar Center, stripped and then scalloped. I've scalloped a few guitars before (see The 'Prototype' and The Les Paul) but this was the first time I had ever scalloped a maple fingerboard. In general I think it's somewhat easier than scalloping rosewood. It's not quite as hard. On the other hand, it's easier to tear out (the procedures I use for scalloping are rather violent) and you need to polish the finish, which you obviously don't need to do with rosewood. On the other other hand, the light wood combined with the qualities of the finish helps hide scratches etc.
The tuning machines are Grover Rotomatics. The electronics will be a single Carvin humbucker (one of those pickups with 22 pole pieces) with volume and tone control and coil splitter. Aside from the electronics and the body and neck themselves, most of the parts and tools for this project were purchased from Stewart-MacDonald's Guitar Shop Supply.
My main goal with this instrument was to get a decent finish on the piece, and I feel I've come close. The neck is finished in clear nitrocellulose lacquer (cough cough), the body in acrylic lacquers marketed in the form of automotive paints. The results are FAR better than what I was able to achieve with The Les Paul. Having done it, however, I think I can do better, which is why I have not gone ahead and completed the assembly of the guitar. Once other projects are out of the qeue it will be going back into the shop for some additional finish work.
Why the name 'Wolfson'? I dunno. For some reason it sounds right to me. When I was a kid we had an old LP recording of 'Peter and The Wolf.' I found this recording a few years ago at my parent's house and took it home. On the cover was a cartoonish drawing of Peter hauling the Wolf, secured by a rope around the ankle, over a tree branch. I thought that the image of the wolf, if inverted (in which case he would sort of appear to be dancing on his tail) would appear great as graphic on the headstock of a guitar. Never mind that, of course, I have no rights to use the image or anything like that. I went searching for a name that would fit the 'logo'. Wolfson is the result. I consider it to be my 'brand'. Now of course I can't find the image. Oh well.